Thursday 18 June 2015

Channel Identity Logo Development

After researching idents for channels, I realised I would have to create a channel to produce some idents. I chose the word 'flux' as it was a word I really liked and is not really used that often in the world today. It is also used in the phrase 'state of flux' meaning it is constantly changing. If my channel were a real one, it would be keeping up with all the recent and modern trends, increasing popularity and viewers. 


This is the first logo I created and was a very quick and immediate response to the creation of a logo.  This was created straight after I realized I would have to create a channel, which meant designing and developing a logo. I wanted it to be very simple and initially be within a circle, as I really liked the look of most logos in circles. I then did the first thing I thought of, and created a circle with some reflections inside it. I wanted a handwritten font purely because it makes the logo look more. My colour scheme was very simple as I went with black and white to keep a minimalistic feel. I added reflections on either side to make the logo look glossy and shiny. Overall it was a very basic logo and had no real meaning, as well as the fact that because it had no colour it would not stand out compared to a coloured logo.




This logo was more intended to be a clipping mask for an image, but did not look professional and there was no easy way to do this. I then scrapped the clipping mask idea and made a very simple logo with the use of some lines. It was created by adding the word, changing its colour to red and pasting 4 lines behind it. I personally do not like this logo, as I think the font is not really suitable and the colour is too saturated. It is also too simple and shows no real talent or skill. It took me a while to make it look better, to no result, but it would have been a waste if I did not include it in the list of logos I created, as it shows development.





This image is a screenshot containing all the logos I created using this technique, which was also one of my first initial ideas. The logo in the centre was the logo that was created first, and was simply a shape I created using what I believe was the pen tool. I instantly liked this shape, and thought it was different enough to catch your eye without being too quirky or strange. I then copied the shape, turned off the stroke and made its fill colour white. I then put this behind and a little lower underneath the original image before duplicating the white filled shape and changing the colour to black, which is when I put this underneath the white shape. I then, coincidentally, found a font with this same effect and put it on the group of shapes. It may have even been a subconscious decision, as I remember looking at this font a few days before creating this design, only to remember it after it was created. I then rotated the text to suit the shape better and decided to leave it alone, as it looked best like this. I then made a completely neutral version of this by creating nothing but a square and adding the text normally, which did not require any special tools or techniques. I then duplicated this twice, using the shear tool to get different angles on the shape and text, which replicated the style of the first logo automatically. I like these slanted ones, as I think they look like stickers or banners, which are almost always spotted in design. The second one I duplicated was facing the left, and I was particularly keen on this one, so I duplicated this one and changed the colours to my liking. I am a very big fan of red and orange as backgrounds, as I feel they stand out the most. I found a very light red and used this for the background of the logo, whereas the text was yellow. I wanted to find suitable colours that would contrast well against each other. It took me a while to find the perfect yellow but I am happy with this shade, as it is the best shade that keeps its brightness without being unreadable or tacky. Overall, I think these logos were better than the last and show some actual development within the document. 






This was created after I wanted to try and create some sort of app for a logo. I noticed they usually have rounded edges and are very simple. I thought it would be a clever idea to try and incorporate some modern art styles into a TV channel, which is why I brought in a design like this. It was created by first created a rounded rectangle and creating a fake shadow effect, which was created by copying the object, pasting it, copying it, pasting it and then using a function from the Pathfinder toolbar. The reason you need to copy and paste it twice is to keep the original shape when the second one becomes altered. I then changed the colour to a darker one, creating the fake shadow effect. I then drew two lines and rotated them 45 degrees each to opposite directions, to create an X. I then copied this X and pasted it underneath, changing the colour to black and making it look like a shadow. I don’t particularly like this one, as it makes no sense and doesn’t really explain anything about the channel, and doesn’t even show the name of the channel. I like the simplicity of it, and how it has subtle shadows, but it is not strong enough to make into a full-time logo. 





This logo was created with the idea of being simple and minimalistic yet effective. I thought the best colours to use were black and white, as they are the simplest colours that exist. With this thought, I created a black rectangle and placed white text over it. I then created outlines for the text and the two circles on the side, meaning they were no longer text objects and now shape layers.  I then copied and pasted all the white layers on top of each other twice, then used the last two to create the shadow effect. It now looks as if it is a black piece of paper with the text cut out of it. As it is supposed to be simple, I chose a very simple, sans-serif typeface and did not add any extra, unnecessary detail. 







This logo was made in the spur of the moment and did not have any thought process behind it. Despite this, I quite like this logo, as the black and yellow contrast well and fit together. I created a long hexagon, made it yellow and replicated the fake shadow effect using the Pathfinder toolbar. I think any other font would have looked boring and dull, but since this one has the shadow repeat effect, it works just fine. I centered it and left it like it is, since there is not much else to do with it. The reason behind the hexagon shape was because I wanted to experiment with all kinds, as this was the point where I had finished making the app logo look, which was a rounded rectangle. I figured if I created and changed enough shapes I would get the perfect one for a logo. I can see why this one is not that strong; it has no real opportunity neither does it have the best detail either. 



This was an idea I had where I would show the viewer what devices they could watch my channel on, and I spent a lot of time creating the little details found in the objects. I created an X which was filled with orange and had a black stroke, to increase the flow of your eyes and not to confuse anything. I first began on the TV, and made it retro, since that is the going style of today, and put a reflection over it, to make it look less boring and to make it seem more complicated. I made it a little cartoon-like by adding the two lines at the top, mostly seen in cartoon designs of old TV’s. I then began creating the phone, in which I created a very modern phone, and spent a long time putting too much detail into it. For instance, the front facing camera has many small circles and slight variations of colour to make it look realistic, and because it is a vector image it does not pixelate or blur. I then looked at my own phone and began recreating my wallpaper. I didn’t detail the mountains or any of the wallpaper greatly as it would have taken a very long time to perfect it. I then created a monitor, which is quite boring and dull compared to the others. This is because as I went on creating these, I lost focus in what I was trying to achieve, meaning that it was getting harder and harder to finish this illustration process. I then stopped illustrating this piece of work and began to work on other logo’s that were perhaps more simple and elegant rather than these detailed illustrations.





I created this because I realized I had no actual simple designs, and were all detailed in some way or another, such as shadows or reflections. With this I simply created a circle, removed its side, and put some text over it to make it look like it was inside the circle. I did this with two different fonts to make sure it could have been interpreted different ways, not just the bold text. I chose the green because I thought this would be a good use of colour but isn’t too bright to the eyes. It also goes well with the white background and the black text. I also made the green circle line thin because it would look tacky and unprofessional if it was any thicker and would not be able to be seen if it was any thinner. Overall, two very simple logos with a lot of white space for minimalism. 






This was one of my first creations, but I saved it until last to talk about because it was my favourite design and I thought it was my strongest one. I wanted to create a ‘hipster’ look, as these are almost everywhere today. I began with a circle, as I wanted a design to be within a circle, as it would catch your attention faster than with a normal square. I then made this circle a dark blue, then duplicated it and made it smaller, and made this white. I then duplicated it one more time, which was then made light blue. I made the dark blue circle thicker so the white wouldn’t have the same width, and noticed it made the logo better. I then added stars, in which there was a very complicated technique in which I made a circle, made this into a path for stars and then made the path of stars even throughout the circle. I then added the word flux with the same handwritten font I have been using for a lot of these logos, and put this in white, because any other colour would have made the colour scheme too complicated. I then finished it off putting two lines through it, then using the pathfinder toolbar to get rid of the covering section, which cut the covering pieces off. I then made them bigger and the effect was perfect, as they are almost like arrows pointing towards the actual logo. Overall a simple yet effective design and has a somewhat bright colour scheme. 


No comments:

Post a Comment